News & Events
Letter from the Minister for Education
- March 13, 2020
- Posted by: Adelaide Websites
- Category: Important College Updates
While there have so far been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 at South Australian schools or preschools, it is important that we are prepared for the possibility.
For the safety of our community and the wider public, the South Australian Government has implemented the following measures to support the containment of COVID-19.
In the event of a confirmed case, the site will be closed for a minimum of 24 hours and you will be contacted to come and collect your child immediately.
Closure will allow public health officials to identify and notify anyone who has come into close contact with the infected person and provide advice about who needs to seek treatment and/or self-isolate.
The site will also be subjected to a thorough clean and it will only reopen on the advice of health experts and when it is safe to do so.
Current advice on self-isolation and staying at home
The South Australian Government has issued the following in line with the latest Commonwealth advice:
- Any child, student or staff member who has travelled in or transited through mainland China, Iran, South Korea or Italy must self-isolate for 14 days after leaving the high risk country.
- Close contacts of a confirmed case of COVID-19 must self-isolate for 14 days since last contact with the confirmed case.
- All returned travellers who develop symptoms (especially fever and cough) within 14 days of returning from anywhere overseas should seek testing for COVID-19, and self-isolate while awaiting test results.
- Any confirmed case of COVID-19 will be excluded from school/childcare/the workplace until they are medically cleared to return.
- Children, students and staff who have returned to Australia from anywhere else overseas and have no symptoms are able to return to school or work.
In addition, if your child is unwell with respiratory illness they should remain at home until symptoms resolve.
Travel and excursions
In light of current travel warnings from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, overseas school excursions to all countries except New Zealand are on hold until the end of term 2. This will be reviewed as more information comes to hand.
Current advice indicates that domestic travel and school trips and events such as sports days and swimming lessons can still take place.
Personal hygiene and the hygiene standards in our sites are critical to reducing the risk of infection and SA Health has asked that children are encouraged to:
- wash their hands regularly, particularly after using the toilet and before eating
- avoid spreading infections to others by staying home if they are unwell
- cover a cough or sneeze with a tissue.
Please support us by reinforcing this message.
Australian government advice for parents and schools
If you would like more information about COVID-19 you can contact the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080, or visit: www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for schools-and-early-childhood-centres.
The Australian Government also publishes a daily alert with the latest medical advice and official reports, which can be accessed at: https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health alert.
Hon John Gardner MP Minister for Education